Recipe #1: Grilled Eggplant slices (for atop salads or sandwiches) (courtesy of Giada, love you girl!)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 7 Japanese eggplant, ends trimmed, cut into 1-inch wide slices
- 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts
- 3 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- 1/3 cup basil, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped mint
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Place a grill pan over medium-high heat or preheat a gas or charcoal grill. Drizzle the olive oil over the slices of eggplant and toss to coat. Grill the eggplants until tender and grill marks appear, about 3 to 4 minutes per side.
Place the eggplants side-by-side on a serving platter. Sprinkle with the pine nuts, goat cheese, basil, and mint. Drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, and pepper.
Recipe #2: Baba ganoush (without tahini, no time for a trip to the supermarket!)
(courtesy of http://vegetarian.about.com/od/saucesdipsspreads/r/fatfreeganoush.htm)
- 2 eggplants
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 5 cloves minced garlic, preferably roasted
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp parsley
Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
Slice eggplants in half and pierce with a fork in several places. Roast for about 45 minutes, or until soft. Allow to cool slightly, then scoop out inside of eggplant, leaving skin behind.
In a blender or food processor, process eggplant with remaining ingredients until smooth.