Some nights it is impossible to think of a good, healthy dinner for two that doesn't involve a trip to the store for extra ingredients. So, tonight's menu will be a combination of "clean out the fridge night" and "look what's been hiding in the pantry night"....delish!
Quinoa Salad with Roasted Peppers and Roma Tomatoes (adapted from Food and Wine magazine)
* with a side of sauteed chicken breasts seasoned with Adobo (my secret magic ingredient) and olive oil!
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 1 large yellow bell pepper
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 medium cucumber—peeled, halved, seeded and finely diced
- In a medium saucepan, heat the 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Add the quinoa and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until lightly browned, about 4 minutes. Add the water and a generous pinch of salt and bring to a boil. Cover and cook over low heat until the liquid is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Fluff the quinoa with a fork and spread on a baking sheet to cool.
- Meanwhile, roast the red and yellow peppers directly over a gas flame or under the broiler, turning occasionally, until charred all over. Transfer the peppers to a bowl, cover and let steam for 10 minutes. Peel and seed them and cut into 1/4-inch dice.
- In a medium skillet, toast the pine nuts over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until golden and fragrant, about 5 minutes. Transfer the pine nuts to a plate to cool.
- In a large bowl, whisk the remaining 1/4 cup of olive oil with the vinegar. Add the quinoa, peppers, pine nuts, cucumber, tomato, basil and/0r mint and toss well, breaking up any lumps of quinoa.
- Season the salad with salt and pepper and serve.