This week for the Food Matters Project, chefs are working on Mark Bittman’s Tomato Curry Soup with Hard Boiled Eggs Recipe. Other bloggers have been doing great things with simple ingredient to make this a delicious dinner, so check out Eats Well with Others and Cookie + Kate (I blended their ideas for recipes with my own). Also, I have a whole bunch of delicious little red potatoes to use up from my awesome Washington’s Green Grocer delivery.
The result…last night’s delicious (if I may say so myself) dinner.
(Disclaimer: We call everything that is made in the dutch oven in our house “goulash”. It’s an over exaggeration of the term, but that’s just how we roll.)
Hard boiled eggs and fresh cilantro awaiting their roles as lovely garnish.
Thai basil from Washington Green Grocer and sliced red potatoes.
Curried Tomato and Garbanzo Beef “Goulash”
Here’s the recipe:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp fresh minced ginger
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced
- 2 tbsp curry powder
- a drizzle of honey
- 5 red potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 5-8 baby carrots, chopped
- salt and black pepper
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1.5 cups coconut milk
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 1 can garbanzo
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, roughly chopped, for garnish (YUM!)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish (YUM!)
- Put the oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. When it’s hot, add the onion, garlic, ginger, and chile. Cook until softened, 3 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the curry powder.
- Add the potatoes and carrot and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring for a minute or 2. Add the broth, coconut milk and tomatoes with their liquid. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat so the mixture bubbles gently. Cook, stirring once in a while, until the potatoes and carrots are soft, about 30 minutes.
- Add the garbanzo and adjust the heat so that the mixture bubbles gently. Cook until all the vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes more. Serve garnished with the hard-boiled eggs and cilantro. Enjoy over a bed of yummy quinoa or rice.